The backyard gazebo that your kids have turned into a little fort.
The sturdy wooden fence that provides you with privacy and protection.
What do these three things have in common? They’re all examples of hardscape construction. In this blog post, we’ll look at the type of work Bucks County PA hardscape contractors can do to transform your property.
What is hardscape construction?
Hardscape construction – otherwise known as hardscaping – is one of the two main types of landscaping and includes all the non-living elements of your landscape. (The other chief landscaping category is softscaping, which refers to your lawn, plants, trees and flowers.)
Hardscape construction can include virtually any type of decorative or practical addition to your landscaping, including:
- Brick patios – These offer homeowners an upscale look for a classic gathering place.
- Concrete patios – Perfect for people who want a patio, but also want something a little more low-maintenance than brick. You can always spruce these patios up by adding tile.
- Flagstone patios – A low-cost option that nonetheless provides a lovely natural look.
- Gravel pathways – Often an affordable alternative to brick or stone walks.
- Stone walkways – Perfect for pathways through your garden
- Metal fences – These can include coated steel or iron. If you’re not a fan of the way metal looks you can always opt for wood.
- Wooden arbors, gazebos and pergolas – These structures serve a practical purpose – a place to get out of the sun – while also decorating your landscape. A pergola is similar to an arbor and attaches to your house or other buildings on your property.
- Water features such as ponds and fountains – Growing plants in or around water features is a great way to merge softscaping and hardscaping.
Why is hardscaping important?
As most Bucks County PA hardscape contractors would tell you, hardscaping means more than just decorating your yard. It also serves a practical purpose.
- Retaining walls and stone steps can level uneven slopes and improve drainage.
- Gates and fences offer privacy and security while also defining your property line.
- Materials like stone can absorb heat, which dries out nearby soil and prevents standing water, mildew and algae.
How can I get the most out of my hardscaping?
Ask any good Bucks County PA hardscape contractors, and they’d tell you that it’s important for your hardscape to create a focal point to draw in people’s gaze.
And many homeowners choose to match their hardscaping to their home’s exterior to blend the two environments (brick with brick, stone with stone, etc.)
Finally, you should include a good mix of both softscape and hardscape elements. Too much hardscaping can make your property seem cold and sterile, while having too much softscaping can make your yard look overgrown.
If you think your yard needs a new look, it might be time to start searching for hardscape contractors. Bucks County PA’s Realty Landscaping is waiting for your call.
Our residential landscaping experts have spent more than 25 years helping Bucks County homeowners to help them enhance their properties. Contact us today to learn more about our hardscape construction services.